Around the turn of the nineteenth into the twentieth century, there were a number of immigrants who came to the Unites States from southern Italy. A significant group came to Cincinnati and settled in that portion of the Lick Run Valley that runs from present day Quebec Avenue to Wyoming Avenue along Queen City Avenue. Most were Catholic and joined St. Bonaventure Parish. Some Sisters of Charity noticed their special needs – cultural, social, as well as religious – and urged that a separate parish be established for this ethnic group. The education of their children still took place in the larger setting of St. Bonaventure School. Thus, San Antonio Church was established as a separate parish in 1922 with a Franciscan pastor who lived at St. Bonaventure Monastery.